Monday, December 5, 2011

Day 3 of Banana Island: Forecast = Wind Advisory!

When they say that Chicago is "The Windy City,"  I didn't realize they based the nickname off of my musically-inclined colon.  I guess I should be honored that my city thought so highly of me in that regards, but embarrassment sort of trumps any sense of pride.  :-)

Yes, children, today's forecast was 100% chance of rumbling thunderstorms.  Take cover in the form of gas masks, scented candles, aerosol room spray, and ear plugs.  Even Bean-O would be powerless against this windstorm.  I think I even freaked my dog out, for he spent most of the day underneath the kitchen table, quivering in fear, both paws over his snout.  My cat was no where to be seen, taking refuse in the farthest corner of my apartment, burying his head deep into the corner of the wall.  I don't blame them...I wish I could have escaped from myself!

I tried adding in celery to my banana smoothies today.  I felt I needed the nutrients from some kind of green, and celery is supposed to be easiest to digest.  Maybe for the "normal" gut it is, but as for mine...not so much.  It wasn't so much the gas, but the cramps and flatus with leakage of mucus and blood/stool was worrisome.  I haven't had that issue since starting LFRV.  It was a daily occurrence on my previous ACD, so I was dismayed when it returned.

 It either means one or a few things:
-I am reacting to the bananas:  Bananas = high phosphorus, tyramines, or some other issue with the banana.  An old ALCAT test (not too reliable) said bananas were a moderate intolerance (orange category).  But an IgA/E/ test did not show any issues.  I guess it's best to rely on my gut....but is my gut telling me it is a reaction or a detox?
-I am detoxing:  Mucus could be a sign of cleansing, same with gas, bloat, cramps...but it can also be the sign of a food reaction and/or inflammation
-Adding the celery was a stupid idea:  irritating to the gut due to the insoluble fiber (despite it being Vita-Mixed)
-My body just sucks
-Aliens abducted me at night and implanted a Whoopie Cushion (or several) in my body.  Funny, funny aliens.  Glad that life on other planets have a sense of humor.  

The Comcast guy came over today to upgrade my internet and I think I scared him too.  He pretended like he didn't notice, but come ON!  Even deaf people could hear my @ss blasts from miles away!  And I couldn't blame it on the dog either, for Simon was right next to him and I was at the other side of the room, so he could tell where the butt burps were coming from.  I have never clenched my cheeks so hard before in my life (and it's hard to clench when you have no butt), but that didn't prevent the power of the rectal roars from announcing their welcome to this computer-savvy technician.  Good thing he wasn't hot, lol.

It does seem that whenever I have eaten bananas, that I tend to get more gassy/bloated/crampy than with any other fruit.  Fruit still makes me a Farty-Marty, but not quite like Bananas do.  Anyone else have these issues with bananas?

It seems like everyone doing BI heals up quick... but i'm suffering badly!  

 My GI system is WORSE:
-difficult stools (it took nearly an hour this morning)
-TONS of gas with mucus and bloating (I think I scared away the internet guy today, lol)
-bad skin--cysts on my face...very attractive
-cramps
-anxiety!!!!!!
-coated tongue
-halitosis
and many others

Should I switch to date island  or grape island or some other island.....or just keep chugging along and hope things get better?  I'm really craving juicy fruits like grapes, watermelon, and oranges.  I also miss my green juices.  I'm really getting sick of bananas.  REALLY sick of them.  Why isn't my system embracing the BI experience?  Why is it revolting?  The one day I went completely banana-free was the a fairly good GI day...and the BM the next morning was quick, easy, and better than most days.

Adam X on 30BaD said this about bananas and my situation:  "You are likely quite dehydrated from all the protein in your previous diet. And your body may have mineral imbalances due to the high protein/phosphorus content of your previous diet. Some people are also sensitive to the tyramines in bananas. Just stick with the fruits that make you feel good so you stay motivated to continue with the diet."  

But I want BI to succeed!  I want to achieve the healing from BI that SO many others have!  WHY DOES Y BODY REVOLT!?  I wish I could do a watermelon island, but I'd be peeing all day long, and I would not get in the cals.
What should I do?  I'm really miserable and it's embarrassing and uncomfortable.  

I'm definitely NOT going to do celery anymore.  IDK if I should give BI more time...or if my body is trying to tell me (via the loud and smelly signals) that this Banana Boat needs to be sunk?
So far, my trip to BI kinda blows....literally.

Today's food (not too exciting):
approx 80g of a frozen banana (I craved something cold pre-workout): 71 cals
Smoothie: 600g banana and 56g celery:  543 cals
Smoothie:  600g banana and 118g celery:  552 cals
Smoothie:  600g banana and 108g celery:  550 cals
Banana Icecream:  430g banana:  382

Grand totals:
Cals: 2101
Carbs: 535g (92)
Pro:  27g (4)
Fat:  8g (3)
Fiber:  64g
Vitamins: 74%
Minerals: 65%

92:4:3

Exercise:  warmup of 10min elliptical and abs, bi/tri....really lame workout

WHAT DO I EAT TOMORROW?  If this keeps up, I'll never be able to leave my house!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Comments from 30BaD:

Comment by xShelbyx on Monday
Judah:  are u having problems with bananas too?
L3vi:  I chew my smoothies, so trust me, they mix very well with my saliva.  I tend to chew my smoothies better than whole food, oddly.
I agree, mixing fruits and veggies doesnt seem to work for me.  Every time I've tried it, it seems to really bother my tums. How do some people do it?  :-(
What is a normal days diet like for u L3vi?
L3vi D.Comment by L3vi D. on Monday
Smoothies are brilliant, but...
The more you chew your food, the more you mix your food with saliva, and the more you prepare it for further digestion. Focus on chewing very properly for 1-2 days till it becomes a habit. When you throw down a blended drink, it definitely spent less time in your mouth then it should have.
Never go on one fruit exclusively. Keep up the Variety. You might want to eat 4-5-6 times a day, if you stick to mono-meals, to bring variety. I recommend juicy-dense fruits at the morning, hydrate and fuel at the same time like persimmon or melons, than  2-3 hours later you can go on your bananas, afternoon grapes, than go for the salad at the evening. 
For someone it might work, but I never mix fruits with veggies.  Unless they are sweet. For instance carrot, pumpkins or parsnips go well with banana apple and dates, but I wouldn't wrap spinach around plums, than dip it into an orange-parsly sauce.
Keep it simple, keep up the variety, and enjoy, hope it helped...
Judah Ben-HurComment by Judah Ben-Hur on Monday
I am so pleased that you wrote this. As I am suffering from the same effects, although I don't like to be in the same room as me.  
Keep on keeping on and much respect.
xShelbyxComment by xShelbyx on Monday
I appreciate the empathy and advice from most of the people who read my blog.  The people who mock and post discouraging advice is only recipe for pushing people towards failure.  
elena:  Thanks for your thoughtful post!  I always love your advice and kindness.  U really help put things into perspective.  I think I am going keep trying BI...I think my issue was eating bananas that were too old.  Newer bananas just ripened, so I hope these will sit better.  I want to try to give BI at least a week.  If it still doesnt feel right, then I'll switch it up. Money is tight, and I have loads of bananas, so I dont want them to go to waste, either!
I'm also stopping the celery.  I might add a green juice later, but my GI system is too fragile for vegetables right now.  According to Dr Klein, most people with colitis can't handle veggies unless they are juiced, but even then, it's iffy.
Thanks for bringing up the point of relying on others' testimonials and methods.  You are right:  we are all individual, and what works for one may not work for the other.  However, IDK what will work for me, thus I tend to rely on the advice and testimonials of others.  I don't trust myself or my body, and I'm tired of having my body be a guinea pig.  I just want to find the right path that points me towards healing and start down that avenue full speed!
My dilemma is whether this discomfort is a healing reaction or a signal that my body is not keen with BI...it's very hard to tell the difference, thus I want to give it some more time in order to be sure.  I'll keep u posted...
thanks again everyone
FructoseVitusComment by FructoseVitus on Monday
keep eating bananas
Saba MariaComment by Saba Maria on Monday
Aww I feel so bad for you. Hope it gets better.
ps you crack me up!
elenaComment by elena on Monday
hi, Shelby! I am agree with Kirsten!!! mono meals, that's it and thus you will have all the variety of other fruits. u say "bananas detoxify!". well, yes, they are as well as any other fruit. let's say
FRUITS ARE DETOXIFYING! all of them,  keep it in mind. your body is still weak, so let it tell you what it wants, instead of imposing on it the idea of your mind. u say u cant listen to your body... then tell me, what is it as not your body's voice  " 
 "I'm really craving juicy fruits like grapes, watermelon, and oranges.  I also miss my green juices.  I'm really getting sick of bananas.  REALLY sick of them."
WHY , WHY ARE YOU NOT LISTENING TO IT????? WHY ARE YOU RELYING SO MUCH ON THE LOGIC, ON OTHER PEOPLE OPINIONS?
yes, the brain sends signals to other parts of the body, it 's true. but look , you are not an x-ray machine, you can't see really what happens inside, if you could you would not be seeking answers from other people. so, if you can't see your intestines and other inner parts of your body, then you have to listen to reactions of your body, if they are not pleasant at all, what's then??? dont stick to BI, if it's not yours. you say u feel like a failure. come on! you will be a failure if you will totally rely on ONLY 1 IDEA. and I call BI to be a one idea. there are a lot more except of BI. I say there is no panacea, neither on BI, nor on other islands. in short there is no panacea! what worked for other people , may not work so exactly good for you. remember, we are different! all of us! and also keep in mind while you are reading testimonials of other people praising th benefits being on BI, there are a lot of people who failed the BI, or simply they didnt bother leaving a negative comment about their experience of BI.
Eat more juicy fruits if you wish. in other posts I 've already said you that I'd gained weight with juicy fruits, mainly with watermelons ( no bananas at that time!!).
in your heart u seem to me being a researcher, so , I'll give you some logic argument behind my advice. why juicy? why not bananas? coz,is you say you are weak and your stomach volume is small ( which I know what it is ), then why for God's sake to load it with one of the heaviest fruits available, i mean bananas and dates, although even dates could be better. at the beginning of cleaning process I'd eat something lighter, juicier. well, if going to the loo is an issue with watermelons, then OK, eat something different, mangoes, berries, apples, peaches, grapes, etc, but dont stick to only one fruit.

you put your body in test , u behave in relation to your body as if you are saing to it "let s see if you go through it or not". but it's not a sport when sometimes you have to go through pain in order to get results. yes, sometimes it can be, but generally why people prefer heal themselves with food and not with operations, injections, etc. is because they choose the more gentle and more healthy way of treating their bodies, isn't it true?!
I see you have a very strong will power and you'd better stick to the idea of BI to proove the idea to be correct. your will power is your strenth! but look at it from the other point of view, havent u already given a try to other healing ideas by being too much commited to other diets ? u have patience with all these experiments, now be patient with yourself and your body's signals. and one more thing about you feeling being a failure. you say a failure, but who knows? only you. u feel to be a failure to youself. otherwise you shouldn't proo
DURIANRIDERComment by DURIANRIDER on Monday
You should get your own reality TV show. 'Shelbs was diagnosed on a fruit eating forum with a possible tyramine allergy, then a fructose allergy, then a mathematics friend told her to work out the constipation with a pencil....what diet will SH try next? Stay tuned to find out more!'
Sounds you will last another week on this lifestyle. Your too in your head sis. Need to learn how to chill n flow. When you abuse your body like you did, you have to pay for a while. Just how it is. Relax and enjoy the process.
I wouldnt worry about farting as your main concern. Id get some cancer tumor marker tests to see if you developed anything from that animal based diet you ate so long. Get a heart check up too.
Focus on the stuff that kills vs the stuff 6 year old kids laugh about.
My mate that gave up smoking back in 97, he coughed his rings off for almost a year before his lungs regained somewhat normal function. He coughed up black oysters for about 3 months from memory. Some of our friends said 'see! smoking is good for you cos none of this happend when you smoked bro!' lol!
xShelbyxComment by xShelbyx on Monday
How did u overcome the fructose intolerance? One doc diagnosed that for me before.

Idk if i have stores of minerals...im really depleted and the heavy metals displace most of the minerals.

If tomorrow doesnt go well, should i try another island like grapes?

Someone had mentioned that dates can aggravate candida...how is this possible and has anyone experienced this?
FructoseVitusComment by FructoseVitus on Monday
fructose intolerance
Comment by ednshell on Monday
Celery can be hard on someone with digestive issues, juice then if you must or as Dr. D says it's fine to go without greens for the first few months, your body has plenty of minerals stored to get you through. 
xShelbyxComment by xShelbyx on Monday
Yeah, ill try not blending them. Perhaps the air is contributing to gas. I like chewing better, anyways. The mashing idea is good too. Perhaps my bananas are too ripe too. Ill try ones that arent so mushy. Ill give it a little more time...but its hard to not have other more appetizing fruits!

@Fructose: whats dfi?
EliasComment by Elias on Monday
Why blend them? Chewing is a positive thing.
FreeleeComment by Freelee on Monday
It's day 3. You are cleaning house
FructoseVitusComment by FructoseVitus on Monday
Fresh is always best for the most potent cleansing and healing properties.
FructoseVitusComment by FructoseVitus on Monday
Detoxifying fruits?  Depending on what your trying to detox.  Citrus can be a great detoxify-er .
Kirsten A. ZinkComment by Kirsten A. Zink on Monday
Well, I'm not perfect or 100%, I still struggle with cooked food some days.  I eat a lot of dates, mostly because I haven't gotten organized enough to have ripe bananas around all the time.  I eat a lot of grapes too, but you're right they are lower in cals, I think your tummy just isn't used to the volume yet, I can eat really huge fruit or salad meals.  I don't eat a lot of variety, to be honest, I don't like apples a lot anymore, I don't know why, or citrus fruits.  I like mango and pineapple, but I don't crave it in the winter.  One thing I have noticed about bananas that might help you with digestion is, I digest them better if they are mashed, rather than if they are whole or blended.  I don't really know why, I think because when I mash them with a fork, or even with a hand blended, I don't get those air bubbles that I get when I blend them.  And I don't like them whole, they hurt my stomach, but it's probably me not chewing them enough.  So, mashed up into a pudding is good, you might want to try it.  And, I've found that with dates, because sometimes they are too sweet and I get sick of them, that if I wrap them up in lettuce, it cuts the sweetness out, it's really good, that is, if you're able to digest lettuce right now.    
FructoseVitusComment by FructoseVitus on Monday
Thanks for the correction, smoothies aren't bad.  I am saying maybe take a different approach tomorrow.  Eat food in its natural state, you shouldn't have to denature your food more than it already is just to get to your local supermarket nor force the calories down you in a way suggested for people that may have GI issues.    Feeling miserable is never a good sign, but maybe there is an error.
I was dfi before, and I had some serious gas, cramping, miserable days but I found my error.  I had many of days where today's food was consumed improperly and turned out not too exciting. 
xShelbyxComment by xShelbyx on Monday
Thanks Kirsten.  
What I meant is that I'm giving up on BI too soon... maybe this IS a detox reaction...but i cant be sure.  I just know that I dont get this icky when I have eaten other fruits, which makes me think it's a reaction to the bananas.. but I cant be sure!
maybe I should lay off the bananas.  I like what u said:  " fruit is not detoxifying, it's cutting out all the cooked garbage that is.  Cutting the bad stuff out is what heals the body, not so much eating fruit.  Fruit is perfect and in that sense it doesn't do anything to harm the body (except for the GI stuff!) "
There are no healing powers in bananas.  Any fruit will help.  IDK why I'm so focused on hoping that bananas will fix me, lol.  I guess I'm getting caught up in the Banana Island Frenzy... so many people have experienced great results from it and I was hoping to be one of them.  
Grape meals are awesome, but they are kinda low in cals for the volume.  500g (what my tummy can handle) is only 345cals!  Yikes.  Too low.  
Kirsten, what is your daily diet like?  I need some ideas!
Thanks for the kind words
Kirsten A. ZinkComment by Kirsten A. Zink on Monday
Why would you feel like a failure, you are doing so awesome, I've been reading your posts and you are really doing great.  What exactly do you mean by, giving it enough time?  What exactly is 'it'?  You have to realize that fruit is not detoxifying, it's cutting out all the cooked garbage that is.  Cutting the bad stuff out is what heals the body, not so much eating fruit.  Fruit is perfect and in that sense it doesn't do anything to harm the body (except for the GI stuff!)  Anyway, I would just eat what you have, eat banana meals to get your calories, but eat the other fruit meals to get the variety.  Grapes are awesome, I love grape meals, and they are fairly high in cals.  Have you tried the frozen mango, that sounds like it'd be yummy in a smoothie.
I sorta feel like a failure, or like I'm not giving it enough time?  
All I have at home that is ready to eat are apples, grapes, dates, and bananas, as well as frozen mango.  I got rid of everything else.
What are some "gentle" and detoxifying fruits?
Kirsten A. ZinkComment by Kirsten A. Zink on Monday
Just from reading your post and what you wrote about craving juicy fruits, then you should eat them!  I know I'm not you and I don't know everything you are going through with your body, but for me, as long as I eat mono meals, and keep a few hours between meals, then my digestion does a whole let better than if I don't.  So, maybe you could do a couple of meals of juicy fruits and the rest with bananas, I'm sure you won't be as sick of them if you start including other fruits throughout the day, just my opinion...
xShelbyxComment by xShelbyx on Monday
FructoseVitus:  So NO blending?   Why are smoothies bad?  I thought smoothies/blending are best for those with GI issues, as well as to help get cals in?  And all veggies are insoluble...including celery
@ Kirsten:  What do u suggest I eat tomorrow, then?
xShelbyxComment by xShelbyx on Monday
Bananas May Not Always Be The Culprit - Products used to stimulate the ripening bananas sometimes contain allergens themselves, and what appears to be a banana allergy is not, but a reaction to the ripening agent. Many allergens of this type are destroyed by the cooking process, and if a person believes they have a banana allergy, but do not have a problem with cooked foods containing banana, the chances are great that the person is not allergic to bananas at all, but to another substance and a different allergen.  As far as an allergy to banana plant pollen, a similar situation exists. Someone allergic to banana pollen will most often also be allergic to several other pollens, including those of the melon family, including the watermelon (actually a fruit), citrus fruits and tomatoes.
Kirsten A. ZinkComment by Kirsten A. Zink on Monday
Personally, if I was craving other fruits I would just eat them, no need to stay on banana island if you are sick of them.  I know you are having digestive issues, but if you just stick with mono eating, you can still eat other fruits and not have more trouble.  I know that you will still have troubles, but I wouldn't expect them to increase, but that's just my guess.
xShelbyxComment by xShelbyx on Monday
No chromium deficiency, but I am hypoglycemic and pre-diabetic.  Triglycerides:  are 53... but my cholesterol doubled in the past month from 160-275 (thanks, anti-candida diet!).'
Banana Intolerance (Serotonin)
§  Banana allergies are somewhat rare and the symptoms can be severe. An alternative malady of banana consumption that would include the symptoms of stomach cramping would be a banana intolerance due to the vaso-active amines (these include histamine, phenyl-ethylamine, serotonin, tyramine and dopamine), of these serotonin is present in a banana. The symptoms of serotonin intolerance include stomach cramping, skin redness, headache and increased heart rate. The severity of reaction depends both on how much is ingested and the level of histamine metabolizing enzymes (diamine oxidase) are present in your system. The symptoms occur either within minutes or even hours of banana consumption. Intolerance can develop in severity over time like a progression allergy (such as a bee allergy) and therefore should be monitored and discussed with your doctor.

FructoseVitusComment by FructoseVitus on Monday
My advice would be to keep moving forward on banana island.  Celery is soluble not insoluble, and another thing you don't really have to chug.  Just mono, no blending or banana whip then you should come out with better results.
-Ty
AnarchoFembotComment by AnarchoFembot on Monday
is it possible you have a chromium deficiency? What are are triglyceride levels like? Romaine lettuce is an excellent source. I just have this hypothesis regarding folks who seem to have issues with bananas and high triglycerides (dont know if you do) just throwing it out there.
xShelbyxComment by xShelbyx on December 5, 2011 at 12:13pm
I hope someone can give me an answer too!  Some foods just dont work for some people...of course, it has to be the one food that is the staple in this diet.  FML
KimberryComment by Kimberry on December 5, 2011 at 12:11pm
Oh goodness, lol. I've had major problems with bloating on cooked or bad food combining, I would think mono would be the opposite. Maybe bananas just aren't working out for you? I hope someone can give you an answer!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment